Sunday, March 25, 2007

Still in Damascus

We are still in Damascus, but I had to add another post because I forgot to mention Ozzie's highlight. There are so many, but for him, a highlight was walking on the ground after the bus ride yesterday. He said that he had a new lease on life, that hang-gliding sounded like a lot of fun, and that he would appreciate every minute of every day as a cherished item. Apparently, the bus driver was in a bit of a rush, and while the rest of us were sleeping in the back, Ozzie experienced first hand "near death experiences" on the highway.

Since I am posting this, I will quickly mention the day's events. We went to a Syrian Orthodox church service this morning and it was a very unique experience to listen to the sounds, smell the incense, and watch the involvement of the congregation.

After a relaxing tea at the MCC Country Representatives, the guys and girls went their separate ways as we experienced bathing Syrian style. The Turkish bath for the guys was a bonding experience, especially as the students watched the exfoliator-dude spank me numerous times - I think he was enjoying the reaction of the students - I can't say I was enjoying it too much, but I was willing to get juked for the team. All of us enjoyed the rigorous massage and the relaxing bottle of coke as we sat wrapped up in our towels.

From what I hear of the girls' Turkish bath, things went well too. We found out later that the girls all bought matching underwear for the occasion, and they had drums and dancing in the sauna.

We are excited about heading into Lebanon tomorrow.

2 comments:

Yo Momma said...

Well, I imagine that the only experience that I'll ever have of the middle east is the one I'll get living through your experiences!
Send a culinary description of one of the most interesting dishes that you have thus far tasted.

Oh, and Casey, watch how much you use your cell phone overseas... your buddy will be working for quite some time to pay off HIS cell phone debts...

Hey, B, Your brother just passed his Bronze Cross and is now a certified lifeguard.

Gabrielle said...

Hey everyone!
Everything sounds so exciting! I laughed when I read the entries so I'm sure you must all be having a funny, wonderful bonding experience! I'd love to hear how the turkish bath experience for the girls was!